Users Often Get Confused about using COSMOS network seats with SOLIDWORKS stand alone licenses. This is not an uncommon scenario as companies want to save money and share the same COSMOS seat amongst multiple users. Here is a low down on what needs to be done.
Instructions to use COSMOS 2008 with a SolidNetWork License (SNL) file:
1. Save and unzip the SNL_AllowMultHostIDs.zip to any location on the server. (call CATI 888-285-2284 or email us firstname.lastname@example.org)
2. Clicks on the Registry file SNL_AllowMultHostIDs.reg – This modifies to following registry location to make Host-ID-based licensing option available in the SNL Manager[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks] "SNL Allow Multiple Host IDs"="1
Note: Action only needed on the server
3. Save the text file License file(s) (.TXT) to your computer’s hard drive.
4. You MUST Download and Install the SOLIDWORKS 2008 SolidNetWork License Manager.
5. When the SolidNetWork License File Wizard starts select single and click Next.
6. Verify the Computer Name is correct and note the Port Number (default is 25734).
7. Change Dongle ID to NIC Address for allowing Host-ID based licensing option. Click Next.
**Make sure you check the box "A firewall is in use on this system" if you currently have the Windows Firewall enabled on the system. You can find the Windows System Firewall on Windows XP SP2 or Windows Server 2003 SP1 systems and it is listed under Start > Control Panel > Windows Firewall. If the inbound and outbound communication ports are not open in the firewall and a static outbound port has not been specified in the .lic license file the clients will not be able to connect to the license server to obtain a license.
8. Click Read, then Browse and locate the license.txt file that you saved in step 1.
9. Click Finish, and then Finish again.
Instructions to use COSMOS 2008 on client machine:
1. On each of the SOLIDWORKS 2008 SP0 SNL client computers run the SNL License Administrator by clicking: Start > Programs > SOLIDWORKS 2008 SP0 > SOLIDWORKS Tools > SolidNetWork License Administrator e.g. for SP0, click Start > Programs > SOLIDWORKS 2008 SP0 > SOLIDWORKS Tools > SolidNetWork License Administrator
2. Click on the Server List tab, click the Add button and make an entry for the SOLIDWORKS 2008 SP0 SNL server that was installed in step 2. For example, if you used the default port number then the entry would be "25734@computerName." If you are unsure of the computer name you can find it in the Start > Control Panel > System > Computer Name tab or click the Windows Key + Pause/Break and go to the Computer Name tab. The name of the computer is the full computer name without the domain name added to the end.
The SOLIDWORKS 2008 SP0 SNL manager cannot be installed on a computer that is running any of the 2004-2007 SNL managers. The 2004-2008 SNL managers use the same vendor daemon and running multiple versions on the same system will create a conflict. Supported Operating Systems: Windows XP Professional and Windows 2003 Server are the only supported operating systems for the 2008 SOLIDWORKS SolidNetwork