With any network seat, the first step to complete is installing the SolidNetwork License Manager. This should be installed on a computer (server) that all clients can reach over the network. It is recommended that this computer have a static IP address so you will not have any connectivity issues if your IP happens to change.
Starting with 2015, the SNL manager is no longer supported on any 32 bit system along with Windows 2008 server. (2008 R2 is supported however).
The install can be installed new or you can update your previous version install. This can be run from the SOLIDWORKS DVD or download by selecting "Server Products"
If you are upgrading you current License Manager, there are 2 things you want to do before upgrading:
- Verify that all borrowed licenses are returned.
- Transfer the license (Modify/transfer license)
The installation instructions are pretty straight forward (installation path, etc.)
Once the installation is complete, the first step is to activate it.
- Launch the license manager (Start/Programs/SOLIDWORKS 2105/SOLIDWORKS Tools/SolidNetWork License Manager 20015
When prompted to activate, select "Yes" (if you do not have internet access on the server, I will cover the process to use a license file later)
The next screen with give you some options:
- Is there a firewall in use on this computer? – If so, select the checkbox for this option. – Additional steps will be required. This will be covered later.
Will you be using an options file to manage usage/permissions? – Please see the FlexNet administration guide for using this option.
The next screen will give you the options to activate the products.
Make sure you "Select All" to highlight your serial number(s). Also an Email address is required.
At this point, you get a successful activation screen showing your products
You are now done…..unless…if you have a firewall and you selected the option in the SNL manager, you will still need to add the exceptions in the firewall options.
Depending if you use the Windows firewall or a 3rd party, the configuration is the same.
You will have to add 2 exemptions.
Create incoming TCP port for ports 25734 and 25735.
Once these are open, you should have no issues with the clients connecting.
The last issue you may run into is if you server does not have internet access. If this is that case, you must request a license file for usage.
This is done by selecting the "Manually via e-mail option" during the activation process.
Once completed, you will receive an email with a license file. Once received, save it to the "licenses" directory under the installation location whereyou installed the SNL (default – C:\program files (x86)\Solidworks Corp\SolidnetNetWork license manager\Licenses) then configure the SNL manager to use a license file.
To use a license file, select the "Options" button under the Advanced Options area.
Then select "Use a License File"
Your SNL manager is now installed and ready for use!
We hope this series has given you an insight on how to successfully install SOLIDWORKS 2015. Please check back to the CATI Blog as the Dedicated Support Team will continue posting new series of articles every month that go further into the details of many of the SOLIDWORKS tools. All of these articles will be stored in the category of Daily Dose…..of SOLIDWORKS Support and links to each article with their release date are listed below:
- SOLIDWORKS 2015 Installation Guide Part1 – Individual Installation (Neil Bucalo 10/29/14)
- SOLIDWORKS 2015 Installation Guide Part2 – SolidNetwork License Installation (Blake Cokinis 11/3/14)
- SOLIDWORKS 2015 Installation Guide Part3 – SOLIDWORKS Electrical Installation (John Van Engen 10/31/14)
- SOLIDWORKS 2015 Installation Guide Part4 – SOLIDWORKS Composer, SOLIDWORKS Plastics, and Simulation Installation (Bryan Pawlak 11/4/14)
Sr. Support Product Specialist
Computer Aided Technology, Inc.