Upgrading to SOLIDWORKS 3D CAD Software — an Easy Transition for AutoCAD® and Inventor® Users
At CATI, we promise The Right Solution Now, Your Trusted Partner Always. In this case, the right solution is SOLIDWORKS for all your design needs – either 2D or 3D. Let us help you get started. Complete the form to the right to speak with one of our experts.
Whether you are making the switch from AutoCAD or Inventor, SOLIDWORKS software offers unmatched tools and capabilities for helping users make an easy transition.
AutoDesk® AutoCAD has been the de-facto standard for 2D, not by being the best, but by starting early at a good price point and addressing a broad audience. In 1999, AutoDesk launched Inventor – their answer to the arrival of SOLIDWORKS 3D CAD. Over the years, SOLIDWORKS has emerged as the clear leader and continues to gain ground on the market.
SOLIDWORKS Software Advantages:
SOLIDWORKS 3D CAD software allows you to create accurate 3D models that automate a full range of design and development processes, reduce costs, and improve product quality.
Training and Support
One of SOLIDWORKS’ greatest strengths is the unrivaled level of support through training and technical support from its Value Added Resellers like MCAD. The unrivaled level of support and training allows customers to get up to speed and solve problems quickly, helping minimize risk in the process. Often, we hear stories of how AutoCAD and Inventor Resellers fall short in this area.
Flexible License Options
While AutoCAD and Inventor users are being forced into a term license model for their software, SOLIDWORKS is leaving the choice up to the users. Starting with the 2017 release, SOLIDWORKS now offers term licensing. However, SOLIDWORKS clients can still use their existing perpetual license(s) and/or purchase new perpetual license(s). There is no focus to force term licensing on current SOLIDWORKS users.
Work Seamlessly With DWG and Inventor Files
Current AutoCAD users can stop paying for 2D CAD. DraftSight is a professional-grade, open 2D CAD product for users who want a better way to read, write and share DWG files. DraftSight is easy to use and is available for professional CAD users, students, and educators to download and activate for free.
SOLIDWORKS software allows you to preserve the value of your DWG data with the best available tools for converting data from 2D to 3D, accommodating reusable 2D geometry, and enabling a smooth transition, including extensive Help documentation for AutoCAD users. SOLIDWORKS gives you unmatched compatibility with other CAD systems, including over 20 built-in file translators, one of the industry’s best DWG/DXF™ import capabilities, and unparalleled cross-platform, multi-CAD collaboration capabilities.
3D Interconnect, a new feature for 2017, allows the import and use of native 3D CAD files (including Inventor) and maintains a “link” back to the original geometry so the imported part can be automatically updated. This allows changes that are made after import to the original CAD data, in the original CAD system, to ripple through to the imported model.
Lower Total Cost of Ownership
SOLIDWORKS 3D design solutions are quick to deploy, easy to use, and simple to administer. Instead of spending time maintaining your CAD system, you can capitalize on new opportunities, reduce costs, and get to market faster. The opportunity costs of NOT using SOLIDWORKS design solutions are high. In a 2006 MIT survey of SOLIDWORKS users, 95% reported productivity gains, 54% reduced their time-to-market by an average of 20%, and overall materials savings averaged 18%.
PDM that Works
With SOLIDWORKS solutions, you and your team can easily manage product data, share designs, automate workflows, and securely share design data across your organization, with clients, and with external partners. SOLIDWORKS PDM makes sure the right file version is available, avoids costly errors, and reduces the time spent searching for existing parts or designs by up to 40%.
Active and Growing Community of Users
SOLIDWORKS clients can tap into the power of more than 3 million SOLIDWORKS software users around the world to share best practices, refine tasks, and rapidly work through design challenges. You can leverage knowledge and resources from – local Value Added Resellers like MCAD, MySOLIDWORKS.com, Blogs, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Local User Groups.
SOLIDWORKS has Consistently Outpaced its Competitors in Job Demand.
Average Customer Return on Investment
SOLIDWORKS software allows you to test and revise product designs easily, so you can get design work done faster. Not only is SOLIDWORKS easy to learn and use, it offers unmatched compatibility with AutoCAD software and other CAD systems.
- 30% shortened product design cycle
- 32% reduction in prototypes
- 23% reduction in physical tests
- 21% scrap savings
- 29% decrease in engineering change orders (ECOs)
- 20% reduction in field failures
- 15% reduction in product recalls
Key SOLIDWORKS Features
- 3D Interconnect – Import and work with native Inventor files while maintaining associativity back to the original Inventor Model
- User Interface – The intuitive design interface and integrated software work together and give you the freedom to focus on innovation. You can maximize the productivity of your design and engineering resources to create products better, faster, and more cost-effectively.
- Work With DWG and DXF files – Automatically export CNC-ready DXF and DWG file information directly from SOLIDWORKS 3D models. Maintain existing designs using SOLIDWORKS 2D CAD tools.
- Free 2D CAD Tools for AutoCAD Users– DraftSight is a professional-grade, open 2D CAD product for users who want a better way to read, write and share DWG files. DraftSight is easy to use and is available for professional CAD users, students and educators to download and activate for free.
- Advanced Surfacing – Create and edit complex solid and surface geometry, including stylish C2 surfaces
- Sheet Metal – Design from scratch or convert your 3D part to sheet metal; includes automatic flattening of sheet metal parts with bend length compensation
- Large Assembly Design – Simplify design of large assemblies with SOLIDWORKS 3D CAD to handle designs that can contain more than 100,000 parts.
- Simulation Capabilities Included in Every License – Every SOLIDWORKS user has access to Simulation to assist in validating designs. SOLIDWORKS Simulation has robust simulation capability available from the same interface, working on the same files as SOLIDWORKS.