Have you ever received a STEP file from a vendor and tried to open it in SOLIDWORKS, only for it to yield the warning: “Encountered Invalid Record Index”?
If you have received this frustrating warning, you clicked on the right blog because I am about to show you how to bypass this warning to get that STEP file open!
- First, you are going to need to make sure 3D Interconnect is NOT turned on by going to SOLIDWORKS System Options > Import > Enable 3D Interconnect.
- Next, open the STEP file in Notepad.
- Once the STEP file is open in Notepad, launch the Replace command (Edit > Replace or Ctrl+H).
- In the “Find what” box, enter the string PRESENTATION_STYLE_ASSIGNMENT and in the “Replace with” box, type PRES.
- Replace all instances of PRESENTATION_STYLE_ASSIGNMENT (the problematic data) with PRES by clicking the Replace button.
- Save the changes made to the STEP file in Notepad and reopen the STEP file in SOLIDWORKS.
By making these changes in Notepad, SOLIDWORKS will now skip this parameter during the parsing process of the import and should open as expected in SOLIDWORKS!
Computer Aided Technology, LLC