How Do You Batch Convert Files to the Latest Release of SolidWorks?
With each new release of SOLIDWORKS, the file format is updated to take advantage of the latest performance upgrades, Each time a file is opened that has not been saved in the new release, a message will appear that this is an older file. Customer's continually ask what is the easiest way to convert all their files at once.
The Easy Solution – SOLIDWORKS Task Scheduler
You can create a task to convert files from an earlier release of SOLIDWORKS to the current release. This optimizes them for the latest software enhancements. You can create a task to convert files on your computer or create a distributed task to run on a group of computers. You must have a SOLIDWORKS Professional, SOLIDWORKS Premium, or SOLIDWORKS Office license to create a distributed task. In general the Task Scheduler should convert all the old version files.
Note: Please back-up all files before converting files. Once files are saved in the latest release, they cannot be opened in an earlier release of SolidWorks.
Click Start – All Programs – SOLIDWORKS Install Directory – SOLIDWORKS Tools – SOLIDWORKS Task Scheduler
1. Click Convert Files on the sidebar, or pull down the Tasks menu and pick Convert Files.
2. In the Convert dialog box, type a title for the task or leave the default.
3. Select the files or folders you want to convert. Simply click the Add File or Add Folder button and select the files or folder to update and click Open. Repeat to select additional files or folders. If you do not want to include subfolders, uncheck Include subfolders. To delete a file or folder from the list, click its number or path, then click Delete.
4. Under Task schedule, set the Running mode (Specifies how often the task runs: Once, Daily, Weekly, or Monthly.), the Start time and the Start date.
5. For distributed tasks: Click Network Monitor if it is not running. Select Distribute Task. Click Network Test (recommended) to verify group read and write access to files and folders.
6. Click Options to change conversion options and backup locations.
7. Click Advanced to change the working folder, time-out values, and other options.
8. Click Finish.