How to Install Abaqus
Abaqus 2017- on Windows
- Get the setup files for Abaqus by following these instructions for download SIMULIA software. The setup files will be in the form of .TAR archives.
- The retrieved .TAR files need to be extracted in a way that allows their contents to mix together. We recommend installing the free 7-Zip program and using the “Extract here” option (see screenshots in the Abaqus 2016 section below). After extraction you should have a subdirectory named “AM_SIM_Abaqus_Extend.AllOS” containing all the installation software.
- During the installation process, you will need to choose between two types of license servers, DSLS and FLEXLM. Ask your IT manager which type your company uses and what address to use for the license server.
- We do not recommend installing the local documentation with the latest versions of Abaqus. The local search does not work well and the files require a lot of disk space. The online documentation is much better and is available here: http://help.3ds.com
- The “Suite Installer” will step you through the separate installation programs for each of the software components (Abaqus solver, CAE, Tosca, Isight, etc). Start the Suite Installer found at this location amongst the extracted files: “AM_SIM_Abaqus_Extend.AllOS1setup.exe”.
Abaqus 2016 on Windows
Note: If you need help installing a different version of Abaqus or help installing on a different operating system, the instructions are different than those below.
The contents of the tar files need to be extracted in a way that allows them their contents to overlap directories. One way to do this is by using 7-zip: select all files, right click, 7-zip “extract here”. You should find a subdirectory named “AM_SIM_Abaqus_Extend.AllOS” with the installation software within.
You will find the license server setup buried within that subdirectory (and many more) at this location: AM_SIM_Abaqus_Extend.AllOS1SIMULIA_FLEXNetWindows641setup.exe
The documentation will need to be installed next, either on a central computer or on each client’s workstation. Once you extract the “2016.AM_DOC_SIM_EstPrd.AllOS.tar” file you will find the documentation server setup program here: AM_DOC_SIM_EstPrd.AllOS1DOC_SIMULIA_Abaqus_fe-safe1Abaqus_2016setup.exe
By the way, the Installation and Licensing Guide, which explains this whole process in detail is located here: AM_DOC_SIM_EstPrd.AllOS1DOC_SIMULIA_Abaqus_fe-safe1Abaqus_2016INSTALL_LIC.pdf
Once the license and documentation are set up then you may begin installing software on the client machine(s). The client programs are currently broken into many separate installers that should be run in this order: AM_SIM_Abaqus_Extend.AllOS13DEXPERIENCE_AbaqusSolverWindows641setup.exe AM_SIM_Abaqus_Extend.AllOS1CAA_3DEXPERIENCE_AbaqusSolverWindows641setup.exe AM_SIM_Abaqus_Extend.AllOS1SIMULIA_Abaqus_CAEWindows641setup.exe
For additional installation help, contact us.