What is Altair Feko?
Feko is a comprehensive computational electromagnetics (CEM) software used widely in the telecommunications, automobile, aerospace and defense industries. Feko offers several frequency and time domain EM solvers under a single license. Hybridization of these methods enables the efficient analysis of a broad spectrum of EM problems, including antennas, microstrip circuits, RF components and biomedical systems, the placement of antennas on electrically large structures, the calculation of scattering as well as the investigation of electromagnetic compatibility (EMC). WinProp is a dedicated tool for wave propagation modeling and radio network planning.
Feko also offers tools that are tailored to solve more challenging EM interactions, including dedicated solvers for characteristic mode analysis (CMA) and bi-directional cables coupling. Special formulations are also included for efficient simulation of integrated windscreen antennas and antenna arrays.
Combined with the MLFMM, and the true hybridization of the solvers, Feko is considered the global market leader for antenna placement analysis.
One Product, Multiple Solvers
Electromagnetic applications vary in complexity and electrical size and no single numerical method is capable of handling the entire range efficiently. By offering a selection of different solvers, Feko users can choose the method that is most suitable to the problem that they are trying to solve, or use more than one solver for cross validation purposes. All solvers are included in Feko, and are not licensed separately.
In some instances a single solver might still not be enough to solve a challenging problem. Feko offers industry leading hybridization of different solvers, combining the beneficial characteristics. This allows more efficient and accurate analysis of multi-scale problems, that are both complex and electrically large.
Solver Accuracy and Performance
Extensive validation (analytical solutions, measurement, cross validation) of the numerical methods and enhancements in Feko is carried out to ensure the accuracy of our approaches. Solver performance and parallel scaling is continually optimized to achieve leading computational efficiency.
HWU License Value
As part of the HyperWorks suite, Feko can be used with other products (e.g. HyperMesh or HyperStudy) at no extra cost. This is the value of the patented HyperWorks unit licensing scheme.
Feko offers the only commercial CMA solver. Furthermore, specialized numerical solutions for bidirectional cable coupling, windscreen antennas and large finite arrays reduce computational requirements. Model decomposition workflows for classical antenna placement problems enable equivalent representation of the transmitting/receiving antenna. WinProp is used for indoor/outdoor wave propagation analysis and radio network planning.
User Interface and User Experience
Intuitive and easy to use User Interface designed to simplify main workflows and enrich the user experience.
- Time and frequency domain fullwave solvers: MoM, FDTD, FEM and MLFMM
- Asymptotic methods: PO, LE-PO, RL-GO, UTD
- True hybridization of methods to solve complex and large multi-scale problems
- Unique characteristic mode analysis (CMA) solver calculates modal currents, eigenvalues, modal significance and characteristic angles
- Dedicated solvers for wave propagation and radio network coverage analysis
Solver Performance Features
- The Feko solver is fully parallelized, and optimized to exploit multi-CPU distributed memory resources
- GPU-based solver acceleration
- Optimized out-of-core solver to deliver solutions when RAM limits are reached
- State-of-the-art 3D Parasolid CAD modelling interface, including import/export of CAD and mesh formats
- Integrated mesh engine for generating triangle, tetrahedron and voxel simulation meshes
- Comprehensive post-processing including 1D, 2D 3D plots, import of measurement results, report generation, etc.
- Full Lua script automation for modeling, configuration and post-processing, with macro recording support
- Automated optimization of multi-variable and multi-goal problems with several algorithms, including GA and particle swarm
- Real-time monitoring of the optimization process
- Interface to HyperStudy
- Bi-direction coupling with complex cable bundles and along arbitrary cable paths
- Special solver for efficient analysis of antennas integrated into layered windscreens
- Efficient methods for finite and infinite arrays and periodic structures
- Metamaterials and composites
Model and Domain Decomposition
- Decomposition of some EM problems to reduce computational cost
- Numerically efficient equivalent sources for complex sources and receivers
- Lumped, linear circuit models can be included in a simulation, often used for matching networks
- S-, Z- or Y-parameter files or SPICE circuit file Network definitions
- CAD and mesh import/export of most major formats, Gerber, ODB++ and 3di for printed circuit boards
- Other HyperWorks products including HyperStudy, HyperMesh
- Optenni Lab link for automated matching circuit generation
- EMIT interface for co-site interference analysis
- Imports of CST, Cadence, FEST3D, GRASP and SEMCAD results, Satimo measurements and Touchstone files