What is Altair Flux?
Flux captures the complexity of electromechanical equipment to optimize their performance, efficiency, dimensions, cost or weight with precision, bringing better innovation and value products to end users. Flux simulates magneto static, steady-state and transient conditions, along with electrical and thermal properties.
For over 35 years, Flux simulation software has been the reference worldwide within leading industries. With its continuously improving technology, Flux has become a versatile, efficient and user-friendly tool that helps designers to generate optimized and high-performance products, in less time and with fewer prototypes.
With strong coupling to the Altair HyperWorks™ multiphysics optimization platform, Flux evaluates subsystems’ dynamic interactions and streamlines the entire design process.
Use different options and tools in the Flux open environment – scripting, macros, multiparametrics. Fine tune models and solvers, capture and automate simulation processes efficiently.
Flux has a long history of closely replicating measurements, reproducing complex phenomena with high accuracy, by quickly generating reliable results that engineers trust.
Design efficient, silent and robust machines via the seamless connections to the global creative environment Altair HyperWorks™ platform to perform multiphysics optimizations.
Altair Flux™ Resources
Efficient Geometry Description and Meshing
Accelerate pre-processing using Flux tool kit: sketcher / modeler, defeaturing functions, dedicated e-Motor environment, smart auto-adaptive mesh and focus on exploring 2D/skew/3D innovative designs.
Advanced Physical Properties
Embedded physical models for magnetic, electric and thermal; static, steady-state AC and transient analysis; complex electrical circuit editor and rigid body motion for real-life predictions.
Powerful Modeling Techniques
Unequaled modeling solutions for fast and accurate analysis: non-meshed coils, non-linear anisotropic material behavior, hysteresis, skin and proximity loss in windings for accurate analysis.
Fast and Robust Solvers
Explore new layouts with Flux embedded multi-parametric capabilities, supported by multiple linear and non-linear robust solvers, accelerated further by efficient optimization methods and HPC.
Complete and versatile postprocessor enables analysis, reporting and export of results from multi-parametric solving: potential, flux density, temperature, electric and magnetic fields, mechanical quantities, etc.
Seamless Multiphysics Optimization
Connecting physics in a single multiphysics optimization loop, sharing models, design variables and mesh, automating the process gives the best view of complex phenomena fast.
High performance geometric description
- Embedded sketcher and modeler with fully parametrized modeling constructs
- Advanced CAD import & export
- Defeaturing & simplification capabilities
- A dedicated environment for electric rotating machines design in 2D&3D
- Skew modeling capabilities avoiding long 3D analysis thanks to 2,5D models.
An easy and flexible mesh generator
Flux provides different meshing technologies that can be mixed in both 2D and 3D situations to help the user to quickly get a precise mesh:
- Smart automatic mesh and fine manual control of mesh size and distribution
- Linked mesh between identical geometric entities
- Auto-adaptive mesh refinement during solving in 2D & 3D.
Advanced physical properties for high performance calculations
A full range of physical models to simulate the low frequency behavior of electromagnetic devices.
- Magnetic: Static, steady state AC magnetic, transient
- Electric: Electrostatic, conduction, steady-state AC electric
- Thermal: Steady state AC thermal, transient
- Thermal couplings: Electro-thermal, magneto-thermal
- Embedded electric circuits and rigid body motion capabilities
Advanced modeling techniques for accurate and fast results
- Non-meshed coils
- Thin regions represented by surface models (no need to mesh the thickness)
- Non-linear anisotropic material behavior, hysteresis modeling
- Skin and proximity losses in windings
- Partial Element Electrical Circuit (P.E.E.C.) method for conductor modeling
Solving process: A fast and robust solver
Fully parametric solver allowing geometrical or physical parameter sweeps
- Several iterative or direct linear solvers
- Parallel computing using multithreading and distributed memory multiprocessors
- Robust non-linear solvers.
- Distributed parametric studies across several cores or machines.
Results post-processing: Show your results and convince
Flux provides a complete and versatile postprocessor enabling the analysis of results from multi-parametric solving. It gives access to various quantities such as:
- Potential, flux density, temperature, electric and magnetic fields
- Global quantities: magnetic flux, inductances, stored energy
- Iron losses, Joule losses in conductors, skin effect visualization
- Quantities on electrical components: current, voltage, power, inductance
- Extraction of RLC values of conductors and export of equivalent circuits
- Mechanical quantities: position, velocity, force, torque, speed
Because Flux is used in global design workflows, it can be easily connected to other software, being for multiphysics analysis, optimization or system-level simulation. Flux is able to import meshes from SimLab or HyperMesh, allowing to deal with complex 3D CAD input files in an efficient way. The connection to PBS will let you take advantage of the full power of remote HPC clusters.