SOLIDWORKS MBD:Enable Drawingless Operations with Model-Based Design
SOLIDWORKS MBD (Model Based Definition) is an integrated drawingless manufacturing solution for SOLIDWORKS. SOLIDWORKS MBD guides the manufacturing process directly in 3D instead of using traditional 2D drawings, which helps streamline production, cut cycle time, reduce errors, and support industry standards.
- Define 3D Product Manufacturing Information (PMI) such as dimensions, tolerances, model data, surface finish, weld symbols, Bill-of-Materials (BOM), tables, notes, and other annotations.
- Organize 3D PMI along with the 3D models in a clean, structured, and easy-to-search fashion.
- Customize 3D output templates for multiple deliverables [such as engineering drawings and request for quote (RFQ)], and departments [such as Operations,
- Manufacturing, QA, and Procurement].
- Publish 3D data and PMI in industry standard file formats, such as 3D PDF and eDrawings®.
- Support industry standards, such as Military-Standard-31000A, ASME Y14.41, ISO 16792, and DIN ISO 16792.
- Share and archive 3D data directly to free time for you and your suppliers for re-modeling based on 2D drawings.
SOLIDWORKS MBD helps define, organize, and publish 3D Product Manufacturing Information (PMI) including 3D model data in industry-standard file formats. It guides the manufacturing process directly in 3D, which helps streamline production, cut cycle time, reduce errors, and support industry standards.
Define PMI directly in 3D
SOLIDWORKS MBD defines PMI directly in 3D and avoiding the expensive, time-consuming, and risky 2D drawing detour, which can save up to one-third of the total engineering dollars.
Clean and Structured 3D Presentation
Beyond 3D PMI Definition, SOLIDWORKS MBD helps organize the rich data into clean and structured 3D presentations with different views and display settings. It can even intelligently show and hide 3D annotations while you rotate the model to give you extra clarity while respecting all the critical-to-function annotations.
Customize 3D Output Templates
Serve multiple deliverables and departments by customizing the 3D Output Templates. You can build the layout, insert company or group logo, position the 3D View port and thumbnails, edit the text descriptions, embed Meta property links, and add tables. SOLIDWORKS MBD covers them all.
Easy 3D output and distribution
SOLIDWORKS MBD publishes widely accepted file formats such as eDrawings® and 3D PDF according to the predefined or customized templates. eDrawings files can be opened in a free eDrawings Viewer and 3D PDF can be viewed in a free Adobe Reader which is installed on 93% of Internet connected machines.
Comply with industry standards
SOLIDWORKS MBD helps comply with the predominant industry standards, such as ASME Y14.41, Military-Standard-31000A, ISO 16792, and so on. This compliance gives you the competitive advantages to win more contracts and deliver projects to strict requirements, on time and on budget.
Share and Archive intelligent and intuitive 3D data
SOLIDWORKS MBD helps you share and archive intuitive 3D data, including the models, PMI, views, and Meta properties, so that you and your suppliers don’t have to waste time in re-modeling based on traditional 2D Drawings.
Need Printouts or 2D drawings? No problem.
SOLIDWORKS offers intuitive print support for both native files and 3D output. SOLIDWORKS MBD also delivers print-friendly templates for the best results. Furthermore, SOLIDWORKS MBD seamlessly integrates with SOLIDWORKS 2D Drawings.