SOLIDWORKS 2018 System Requirements
We get a lot of support inquiries dealing with what kind of PC is the best to run SOLIDWORKS. Here are a few tips from the CATI tech staff on selecting your next SOLIDWORKS system. You can also download our latest PDF on SOLIDWORKS system requirements on the right.
- Supported Systems:
- Windows 10, 64-Bit
- Windows 8.1, 64-Bit
- Windows 8.0, 64-Bit
- Windows 7 SP1, 64-Bit
- Windows 7 SP1, 32-Bit
- Not Supported Systems:
- Vista Business x64 SP2
- XP x64
- 32 bit Windows
- 32 GB, SOLIDWORKS
- 64 GB, or more – recommended for large assembly work and Simulation
- A SOLIDWORKS certified OpenGL workstation card with 2GB of RAM – recommended.
- A SOLIDWORKS certified OpenGL workstation card with 1GB of RAM – minimum requirement.
- Visit www.solidworks.com/sw/videocardtesting.html for a list of certified cards and drivers.
- Nvidia Quadro or AMD FirePro.
- Intergrated Intel HD graphics and gaming cards (Nvidia GeForce and AMD Radeon) are not certified and not recommended.
- Quadro NVS are not recommended; they are 2D only cards.
- While a certified video card is important SOLIDWORKS is a CPU bound application, you’ll see more performance gains from a faster CPU.
- For SOLIDWORKS 2019, the new performance pipeline requires Nvidia Quadro series cards Kepler, Maxwell, Pascal and Volta that support OpenGL 4.5.
- Current generation Intel or AMD with SSE2 support processor – as fast as you can afford.
- The Intel i7 Generation 8 Coffee Lake series are the fastest CPU’s today.
- SOLIDWORKS will take advantage of multi core and multi CPU architectures up to 4 cores.
- All SOLIDWORKS Simulation products take advantage multi core and multi CPU architectures.
- Sata Controlled SSD (solid state drive) recommended at minimum.
- New PCIe M.2 drives are strongly recommended for use for the primary drive.
Very few laptops that have the certified graphics cards for SolidWorks:
- Boxx MXL Laptops.
- Dell Precision mobile workstations.
- HP EliteBook mobile workstations.
- Lenovo Thinkpad W series.
Internet Explorer: IE 9, 10, 11
Excel and Word: 2010, 2013, 2015
SOLIDWORKS has created a benchmark to gauge system performance.
See what other SOLIDWORKS users have for hardware and their performance to make a better informed decision.
1. Though these recommendations are a good starting point for specing out a SOLIDWORKS machine, it is always a good idea to conduct your own hardware/software tests before purchasing any workstation, computer hardware, or video card for SolidWorks.
2. End Of Life corresponds to the last SOLIDWORKS release where a Microsoft Product is supported. SOLIDWORKS releases after this are not supported and for operating systems, SOLIDWORKS installation is blocked
4. Windows Home Editions and Windows To Go are not supported
5. Microsoft Office ‘Click-To-Run’ feature is not supported
6. We recommend using the latest Microsoft SP of Windows, Office and Internet Explorer
7. Apple Macintosh® based machines running Windows using Boot Camp are not supported