(Modeling Methodology – Files stored in an older version)
All of the tests that you will see in the upcoming articles we are shifting from hardware to modeling methodology. In all of the modeling methodology tests we change one aspect of the software and run that against our Typical and Practical machines described in our previous articles and show how much the items effect both machine types.
Our first test we are looking to see if the age of a file matters, meaning if we do not convert our files to the latest version of SOLIDWORKS that we have installed will this effect performance.
Our dataset when given to us by the customer had files that were saved in SOLIDWORKS 2012 and older so most of our files were not of the version we were using for testing (SW2013 SP0.0). For our test results below unfortunately Adrian lost our results for the Typical machine.
You can by looking at our deltas see that not updating all of you files to the latest version overall cost us a significant amount of time of just over 14%.
We have seen as few 1 file not saved in the latest version increase Open, Save and Rebuild times. So it is important to make sure you update all files including all libraries of purchased and standard components.
check back to the CATI blog as we will continue posting our
series of articles that goes further into the details of each of our tests. All
of these articles will be stored in the category of Free SOLIDWORKS from Performance
Constraints and links to each with their
release date are listed below:
- FSWPC-13-#1 Introduction (3/19/13)
- FSWPC-13-#2 RAM (3/21/13)
- FSWPC-13-#3 Processor Cores (3/26/13)
- FSWPC-13-#4 Processor Cores for Simulation and PhotoView360 (3/28/13)
- FSWPC-13-#5 Processor Clock Speed (4/2/13)
- FSWPC-13-#6 Hard Drives (4/4/13)
- FSWPC-13-#7a Graphics Cards-SolidWorks Functionality (4/9/13)
- FSWPC-13-#7b Graphics Cards-Hardware Comparison (4/11/13)
- FSWPC-13-#7c Graphics Cards-Model Complexity (4/16/13)
- FSWPC-13-#8 Files stored in an older version (4/18/13)
- FSWPC-13-#9 OS Visual and User Settings (4/23/13)
- FSWPC-13-#10 SOLIDWORKS Options (4/25/13)
- FSWPC-13-#11 SOLIDWORKS Image Quality (4/30/13)
- FSWPC-13-#12 SOLIDWORKS RealView Graphics (5/2/13)
- FSWPC-13-#13 SolidWorks Level of Detail (5/7/13)
- FSWPC-13-#14 SOLIDWORKS Mates and Flexible Subassemblies (5/9/13)
- FSWPC-13-#15 SOLIDWORKS Defeature (5/14/13)
- FSWPC-13-#16 SOLIDWORKS Envelope (5/16/13)
- FSWPC-13-#17 SolidWorks Large Design Review (5/21/13)
- FSWPC-13-#18 SolidWorks SpeedPak (5/23/13)
- FSWPC-13-#19 SOLIDWORKS Save as Part (5/28/13)
- FSWPC-13-#20 SOLIDWORKS Large Assembly Mode (5/30/13)
- FSWPC-13-#21 Optimal Configuration and Conclusion (6/4/13)
Josh Altergott, CATI Support Manager
Adrian Fanjoy, CATI Technical Services Director