Turn off SOLIDWORKS Add-Ins
A simple yet often over looked drain on resources is unused Add-Ins. Our baseline was run with five Add-Ins turned on; FeatureWorks, PhotoView 360, Simulation, Toolbox and Toolbox Browser. All of these Add-Ins were not necessary for the operation of the benchmark. These Add-Ins, even when not actively engaged, will hold some resources. So for our test we simply turned off all Add-Ins and released those resources for use by the portions of SOLIDWORKS required for our benchmark.
If you remember from our first article; our test baseline had a runtime of 5:01:35 and we measured time for the areas of Opens, Rotations, Modeling, Rebuilds, Switching Sheets, Saves and Closes.
After we turned off the Add-Ins our macro ran in 4:28:53, this had a noticeable effect in the areas of Opens, Rotations, Modeling and Switching Sheets.
This setting gained us a savings of 0:32:42 or 10.8%.
Please check back to the CATI blog as we will continue posting our series of articles that goes further into the details of each of our tests. All of these articles will be stored in the category of Maximizing SOLIDWORKS Performance and links to each with their release date are listed below:
- Maximize SOLIDWORKS Performance White Paper (7/2/12)
- MSWP-12-#1 Introduction (7/9/12)
- MSWP-12-#2 Windows Visual and User Settings (7/12/12)
- MSWP-12-#3 SOLIDWORKS Options Set to Optimal (7/17/12)
- MSWP-12-#4 Graphics Cards (7/19/12)
- MSWP-12-#5 Turn Off SOLIDWORKS Add-Ins (7/24/12)
- MSWP-12-#6 Processor Clock Speed (7/26/12)
- MSWP-12-#7 Reducing SOLIDWORKS Mates and Rigid Subassemblies (7/31/12)
- MSWP-12-#8 Number of Processor Cores (8/2/12)
- MSWP-12-#9 SOLIDWORKS Graphic Settings (8/7/12)
- MSWP-12-#10 Network Storage and Anti-Virus (8/9/12)
- MSWP-12-#11 Level of Detail (8/14/12)
- MSWP-12-#12 RAM and SWAP File (8/16/12)
- MSWP-12-#13 Hard Drives (8/21/12)
- MSWP-12-#14 Lightweight and Large Assembly Mode (8/23/12)
- MSWP-12-#15 Optimal Configuration and Conclusion (8/28/12)
Josh Altergott, CATI Support Manager
Adrian Fanjoy, CATI Technical Services Director